Thursday, May 17, 2012

what's your excuse?

So it is pretty evident that I am fascinated by human behavior. This week I was given an assignment to pick a defense mechanism and record the times I caught myself using this behavior in any given situation. At the time, this sounded like such a fun exercise...until I realized I was a walking, talking, breathing....defense mechanism.

Defense mechanisms are ways in which people learn to cope with painful situations. Originating all the way back to Mr. Sigmuend Freud, these techniques have become the ultimate way to reduce anxiety by distorting reality. By legitimizing our own thought processes, they become acceptable in nature.

Now without sounding like a lame textbook, I thought it would be fun to introduce you to some of these very mechanisms, by emphasizing just how relevant they are to people who are just like us. Celebrites. 


Denial: refusal to accept reality

Lindsay Lohan & her enabler supportive mother, Dina Lohan 

I take my sobriety very seriously. Almost as seriously as I take my acting career.


"my daughter does not drink alcohol"  


Regression: reverting to an older, less mature way of handling the stresses of everyday life

Paris Hilton 

Hello, Kitty. Thats hot.

Snooki

Wait...I'm pregnant? 


Suppression: transformation of unwanted impulses into something less harmful

Jessica Simpson 

Pregnancy is such a wonderful experience. Now I can eat the entire left side of the menu, and not get ostracized.


The Neverland Ranch

I know this is inappropriate...but I had it. (R.I.P)

Rationalization: creating false, but plausible excuses to justify unacceptable behavior


David Duchovny & the entire douche-bag population.

It's not infidelity. I have a sex addiction.

At the end of the day, using these so-called mechanisms is inevitable. If we had to accept the reality for each and every aspect of our lives...most of us wouldn't be able to look at ourselves in the mirror. Vulnerability? As if! Defense mechanisms are protective in nature, and sometimes the last thing we really want to do is stop and think about how messed up we really all are. Im just kidding, you're perfect. 

What's your excuse? xx


"you try driving in platforms." 



No comments:

Post a Comment