Friday, June 29, 2012

the real truth behind supply and demand

 When I was five, I had a pair of pink moccasin shoes. I wore those little things day in and day out..my mom would even catch me putting them on after she tucked me into bed at night. I don't know. I had a weird attachment to those shoes. One day, my mom told me we needed to get rid of them. They were worn out and probably smelled horrid. And even though my mom said she would replace them with a brand new pair....I threw the worlds biggest fit, and refused to give them up. She tried and tried...until finally she stopped talking about the shoes all together (such a smart woman, mom). It was as if I never had them, they never needed to be replaced, and she was completely oblivious to the whole situation all together. I would come downstairs for breakfast in the morning, pink shoes an all....and she said nothing. The day I realized she didn't care anymore was the day I stopped wearing the shoes.

Although I was five, it proves to be a very valuable indicator of how we are all motivated and attracted to things we have control over. People love challenges and mysteries. Effort and meaning are not interchangeable parts.

When it comes to knowing how and what we can get--- all. bets. are. off.


Why else would that guy/girl display such confidence and satisfaction texting you whatever AND whenever they please? It's because they know you will respond, and despite any other circumstance....you are thrilled to hear from them. This is an example of control. 


And on the other end, why does that same guy/girl start to take drastic measures....by texting you 45 times, showing up at your door after being told not to...and treating you really, really, really obnoxiously nice? It's because they are in a loss of control...and this kind of shit doesn't sit well with anybody.

Just ask your dignity.

So yes, as nice as it would be to be to THINK we are all just
trying to get along, and live on this even playing field...life isn't an after-school special. Not every relationship in our life has to be an actual power "struggle"...just know that it does exist, it can be reversed, and two should always play that game.









"it's not even eight-thirty, and Murray is paging me."



No comments:

Post a Comment