Wednesday, August 29, 2012

crazy and her bitch.

Penelope Jane
Ever since I became a dog owner, I've truly felt like a mother. You can laugh all you want, but any half decent dog owner can attest to this feeling. I would never say that having a dog is the same thing as having child..(normally, a child doesn't get picked up at O'Hare airport in cargo)...nor am I insinuating that parenting is easy. From what I've heard, it's rather challenging....and just thinking about all the different ways I'm going to screw up my own children isn't so comforting, either.

My point is, the second you start caring for someone other than yourself, priorities immediately change.  For the first time ever, you can't just do what you please. It's a rewarding feeling, and at the same time...a nerve-wrecking one.

So you can imagine why I want the absolute best for my little pup. From her grooming, up to date checkups, a strict organic diet, avoiding any products made in China, and having the appropriate amount of daily exercise....I really do try my best to be, like, the best mom ever. 


Recently these efforts have become compromised, and I've really started to worry. Well, more like freak out. For the past couple of months, my little pup has boycotted dog parks. At first I blamed it on the hot weather....she does have a lotttttt of hair. But after I got her the shortest puppy cut Petco was willing to do without having her look like an ugly Chihuahua...I was out of excuses.

I mean, I was just totally clueless. When I first got her, she would run around the park like she owned the place. Big dogs wanted to be her friends, and all the little dogs envied her.  But now she just kinda plops down by my side and acts completely uninterested. I know it sounds awful, but all I could think was "is my dog that weird kid in class? Is she falling into some type of depression...and is it all my fault????"

I called my vet. And then I went on to call my dog trainer (always get a second opinion). Both told me that Zoloft was completely out of the question, and ridiculous. Shockingly, dog therapy was ruled out as well. They assured me that some dogs feel more attached to people than they do with other dogs. And its ok.

Apparently there has been an extensive amount of research about the misconception in the nature of dog behavior. Originally, dog behavior was compared to the behavior of wolves. Wolves form immediate attachments to other wolves, and when isolated are left feeling extremely anxious. Dogs aren't wired the same way, which is probably why you don't hear many people talk about their pet wolves.  Innately, dogs form strong attachments to their caretakers, and some are just inclined to remain loyal and interested in humans.

Ok, so with this in mind....I feel like I actually have a piece of mind.

My pup doesn't have issues.

I do.

.... I mean, she can't help it that she loves me so much. 






"who takes care of this household? who makes sure daddy eats right?"




No comments:

Post a Comment